View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 10:01 AM
Suspended

When I bought my 69 el Camino, it had a Pypes 2-1/2" exhaust with the X pipe and there mufflers.. Once I got it home and showed everybody, I went to work on that exhaust.. My 454 sounded tinny like a V-6 or a straight 6 with a single exhaust with a cheap glass pack..

I took it over to Meineke and had them make me two X pipe bypass runs. I ordered two Dyno-Max Super Turbo mufflers #17749, these are my favorite muffler. Once you get about 2000 miles on them they really sound nice!! I also pour a pint of transmission fluid into each muffler and work it all around the outer casings fiberglass.. This is an old trick that works.. The car smoked for a few miles but it goes away.. After 15,000 miles these mufflers sound so nice!! That great big block Chevy sound is back.. Those Dynomax Turbos sound just like the old big blocks with Corvair turbos..

Besides not likening the sound of the X pipe, I didn't like how it heated the floor and transmission up on a 90 degree summer day. The th400 used to get this weak first to second shift when in very hot weather. After removing the X and changing the mufflers it shifts like it was suppose to..
The interior is noticeably cooler without the X..