View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New exhaust day ... my old one joins the wall of shame!

I couldn't stand my exhaust system another minute. 2-1/2" all the way back, H pipe and AP Accelerator mufflers. Just a deep blubbery indistinct sounding system. At idle it sounded like an old police cruiser with that monotonous "mum mum mumum, mum, mum, mumum" motorboat sound to it.

I pulled into my local muffler shop, Thrush welded (2 chambers) and cash in hand. In the stall before me was a beautiful red 1969 Mustang Mach 1 fastback customer's car from Mustang Restorations getting the full treatment with Magnaflows. They cut the brand new X pipe system off and leaned it against the wall of shame and installed a 2-1/2" custom bent system with no X or H per the owners request. I asked him "No X pipe this time? He shook his head no. He fired it up and grinned from ear to ear and left. I thought damn, I hope mine sounds that good.

As the guy pulled mine in, for a moment I had a touch of remorse and thought "maybe it doesn't sound so bad after all" but I thought nah, go for it. My hillbilly bent crooked H pipe monstrosity was cut off in an instant and leaned against the wall of shame. On went 2 new custom mandrel bent mid pipes with no X or H and the Thrush welded mufflers. I also had them weld in an O2 bung. When it fired up, I just grinned from ear to ear. My choppy/lopey exhaust note had returned and every exhaust pulse sounded like a symphony to my ears.

Here's a pic of my old system and the Mustang's leaning against the wall of shame.