View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
The way that we check the fuel system is to get a small funnel and fill the quadrajet with gasoline through the bowl vent. The fuel line needs to be hooked up to do this.

Pour in several ounces, even to the point that it overflows a little.

Start the engine. It should run without missing for ten or fifteen seconds if there are no other problems (like ignition issues).

If it is flooded a little, it may sputter, then clear out and run smoothly and then, basically, run out of gas.

If it runs clean for a moment or two before it dies, check your fuel pressure and fuel delivery volume.

My guess is that either your fuel pump crapped out or there is a leak in the fuel line somewhere between the pump and the fuel tank allowing it to suck air rather than gasoline. Either will cause the symptoms you describe.

It could also be the sock inside the tank over your pickup line. The ethanol and other additives in the fuel basically destroy them and they collapse.

Good luck!

Thanks Joe. I’ll try that this morning. The fuel pick up in the tank is new. Well, it’s probably 3-4 years old, but it was replaced with the tank when Steve Barr was doing the restoration, so I’m assuming that should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk