View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the pictures.

So by the looks of things the valve guides have been replaced with 1/2” od guides, can’t tell if this was done to all 16 of them, or just to the guides that needed it,

The valves are aftermarket.

The keepers are aftermarket.

The valve bowls are stock, so they have not been mangled.

The chambers have not been touched which is good as the needed sharp break / fuel sheer above the intake valve is still there!

The exh side has been given a 3 angle valve job which to me in terms of the way these iron heads are machined in stock form leaves the main 45 degree seat way to narrow for good long term street life with today’s no Lead fuel!

The valve job on the intake side has been given a 15 degree top cut, which while it does pick up low lift flow a tad, it cuts into high lift flow numbers and also it uses up needed meat for the heads to recive another clean up valve job with out sinking the valve a lot, and that in turn cuts into high lift air flow even more and of course compression,

For a street motor I like a .070” wide exh seat, especially if spring seat pressures are over 115 PSI .

The retainers are aftermarket, and the valve guides have been topped for the needed positive seals.

The springs look like Comp Cams 995.
This have a flat wire damper in them that I hate!!!

If the time is not taken to unstack each spring assembly and polish over both sharp ends of those flat wire springs then once the motor is fired up those sharp ends go right to work sawing into things and putting fine metallic grit into the motor!

These flat wire springs have been known to collapse with age, and when they do they wind themselves all the way out the main spring where they can hold the valve open, and or break off and get down into the motor, and or snap a valve if racing spring pressure and rpms are used.

If I was to buy these heads I would be deducting the price of re-fitting them with a good set of duel valve springs and also the cost of a shop to get the bad ones out, set up the new ones and then re-assemble the heads,

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 05-08-2021 at 07:25 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post: