View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Those ready to go heads look like used heads that have seen a clean up and maybe a valve grind. The filled crossover looks like a cold pour, the workmanship is suspect.

Valves look like used stock ones, gasket surface hasn’t been freshly resurfaced. Who knows what work was done to the valve guides. Replaced, knurled, bronze liners?

No records or receipt for the work, low value.

They’re a desirable casting number, but the common 6X-4 heads have close to the same chamber size and are a better casting for porting due to the revised port shape that started with the 1975 5C heads. Back in the day everyone wanted the #96 heads for their 9.5:1 455, today the 6X is now the favored head casting.

I’m not seeing anything more than a $500 set of heads. Untouched bare castings are almost worth that, frankly I’d rather have my trusted machine shop do up a set of bare heads than guess what might have been done to a set that are supposedly ready to run with no paperwork to show who did the work, what operations were performed and what parts were replaced.

$800 would be a gift for those in my opinion from an uninformed buyer.
B man, I am taking them apart tonight to check them out. Will get more & better pictures. Got them in Chino Hills California along with the car. They do have a fresh cut on the decks.

POCI.org