View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Yeah Steve Brule has done that test a few times in the past on BBC's and found that the bigger ports actually don't hurt the low rpm torque like many are led to believe, least at WOT on the dyno anyway .

I went that direction on one of my own BBC's, with a small 454 using large 305cc AFR heads. General consensus is that these heads work best on 502-540ci engines, which is one reason I bought them with bigger plans later.

However they have proved to be just fine on the 454. Low speed light throttle drivability is very crisp and responsive. There is no lack of torque down low and nothing soggy about them putting around town. Which is one of the questions Richard didn't have an answer for on the dyno.

I can say, at least on mine, that it's absolutely not an issue at all.
Makes me wonder if having a large diameter pipe bringing water into your house hurts if you only run the faucet partly open. Would water flow faster if the pipe were smaller at part open???But faster air flow could keep air cooler, but at low rpm would condensation form if too cool taking fuel out of the charge? Too many variables for me.