View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think a big part of what people are missing, and I think Steve Brule even touched on this in one of those Engine Master episodes.

Most people building these performance engines put them in front of automatic transmissions. With that in mind, they are also using some form of a custom stall converter and at least a mild rear gear (3.23/3.50/3.73)

So even if one is worried about part throttle below 2,000 rpm or even 2500 rpm it's really a non issue because as soon as you touch the throttle you blow right through that rpm range in most cases, even light throttle application.

My chevelle is that way with it's 454 and these large AFR heads. I run a very efficient 10" Continental converter in it that is nearly locked solid at cruise speed but even at light throttle application putting around town at 35 mph, as soon as I touch the throttle to accelerate normally, the engine is on 2000 rpm and going through the gears moving the car with ease. I can push the throttle at any low speed and the converter will flash higher (flashes 3400 at the track with traction) It exhibits no low speed issues at all, in fact on regular street tires it can be downright dangerous to drive if you aren't careful at anything below 60 mph.

I think the only way to test part throttle is to just build it and drive it. If the rest of the combo is built around the engine I don't think you'll notice with an automatic. A stick car would be a better scenario and even then I'm not convinced it's a huge problem. In some cases it could be a blessing with people complaining about traction. Just some thoughts, Lots of ways to look at it.
With a Pontiac 455 and it's 4.210 crank it's even less of an issue. My BBC ci wise is the same, but with larger bore and shorter 4" stroke. Technically on paper it should be worse in this scenario, and a better example of how low speed torque could be affected.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 10-07-2020 at 08:49 AM.