Thread: Hit N Run
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 07:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I was 17 (1980) a guy pulled right out in front of my truck and I hit him pretty hard broadside. He took off and I tried to go after him but radiator was busted and left front fender was crushed on the tire. I went to fill out police report and got truck home. The next day the cops called me and said they had found the car surrounded by other cars in a parking lot near an apartment complex. Cop said "The owner is a Vietnamese refugee college student at the SE Oklahoma here in Durant. We have not been to see him yet and thought you might want to talk to him first." Doubt that would happen on today's world...I called some friends and we went over there to take care of business. There was 4-5 of these young Vietnamese in the apartment but I played it well. No violence. I simply told him we did not do things like run from an accident in America and he would need to pay for the damage or I would call the immigration office in Dallas and report his behavior and he would be deported. Hell, it was 1980 and things were different. Neither of us had insurance, nobody I knew back then did except older folks.

He paid the damages, with money from US Treasury checks. Now I that I look back, I had to enlist to get a Treasury check and here they were going to college and getting paid to do it.