View Single Post
Old 03-16-2024, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL. I said some cant or dont want to buy new tires just because they hit some arbitrary date. I can afford new tires every year if I wanted to, i just dont buy things that arent needed nor do I fix things that arent broken.

That doesnt "debunk" anything, I never said a tire shop will sell new 5 year old tires... however, I recently had a few sets of cosmetic defect BFGs replaced through my local sears & discount tire shop, 2 different times I was given tires older than 2 years sent direct from BFG or discounts warehouse, there was no clearance or discount & they would have supplied those tires to me or anyone buying them new. This debunks your statement of what tire stores will do with 2 year old tires.

It is true tire companies want to sell people new tires, so they come up with a date that will make some people buy tires when they arent actually needed, and protect their liability. Same for the outdated 3000 mile oil change, what is that based on, 1970s oil technology? Conventional oils can usually go a lot more than 3000 miles in the average engine nor will it cause a catastrophic failure if you go past that. More extreme worst case scenarios not based in reality.

"Lots" means more than 2 or 3, there is usually at least 2 or 3 shops selling used tires in bigger cities, especially in the southwest big cities, literally all over the place & they usually cant speak english very well! Just because you dont know of any in your town or used to work somewhere doesnt mean they arent out there all over the country.
I have a few in my smaller to medium sized city, these are usually the types of shops that do shady mechanical work & sell used tires to people that cant afford new... theres "lots" of people/shops on ebay that sell used tires too. Does that meet your qualifications for lots or show there are many of these types of places out there?
I just recently sold a set of coopers to one of these shops that were on wheels from a parts car, sold for $15ea & they probably resold them for $25-40ea that is the average price I saw for most their used tires. I use(d) this shop for dismounting/mounting tires because they are a lot cheaper than the bigger places, & up until a few years ago I was getting "lots" of parts cars & batches of parts each year so have dealt with old tires & many shops around my town more than most people. These places have stacks of hundreds of used tires out back that they sell.

Not trying to argue with anyone on this, just stating my experiences. If anyone wants to change tires with good tread & no signs of a problem every 5 or 6 years thats their choice, wont affect me in any way. But the reality is that most people dont do that & catastrophic failures are very rare statistically speaking, of course any tire can fail at any age for many reasons, just far too many variables to blame the tire, is all I'm saying.

I guess I dont live my life based on chance or a small fraction of 1% of something happening. If everyone did that nobody would ever leave their house because there is a .05% chance of being struck by lightning or getting hit by a bus!

Heres some facts & actual stats to show how likely a catastrophic tire failure is... 78k crashes related to blown tires per year, out of those 400 people die, yet many are from commercial vehicles or tractor trailers. & a large amount of them are related to manufacturing defects or as I stated user error/neglect.
Do the math on that number based on just 1 million tires, its like .0004%, then do the math using the real numbers of all the tires on the road, 283million vehicles X 4 tires... my calculator wont even give a number for that for that percentage. Yeah, im gonna drive on my 8 year old 70% tread tires or 4-5 year old "new" tires with no signs of problems cruising around town at lower speeds with zero worries.

https://www.tiredefectattorney.com/h...0on%20highways.