View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Think i have owned a few without rust inside. Whatever scale got cleaned out with hot-tanking.

Had a 455 that was sunk in a pond that had rust-through a couple cylinders. Got sleeved, hardblocked and it ran rather well.
“Hot tanks” that used sodium hydroxide as a descaling cleaner are nearly as illegal as dealing fentanyl anymore. All the machine shop around here have gone to hot water wash cabinets that use strong but EPA legal detergents then bake and blast cabinets. The ONLY legal process that can remove rust is Kolene, but very few companies use that process due to the caustic residue left by the chemical salts that Kolene utilized. If I want a rust free water jacket I use a solution of phosphoric acid ( same ph as white vinegar) to soak the block in. Sleeving is always an option IF you have a competent machine shop locally. Those are getting harder and harder to find. Here in the Greater Louisville area there are roughly a dozen machine shops. I would only let TWO of them anywhere near a block of mine.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post: