View Single Post
Old 04-17-2022, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Timmermans View Post
Apparently SD performance are so busy they can't even reply to a simple email ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Timmermans View Post
So , SD isn't responding so I'm reading up on the cam choise and just when I'm considering the 'old faithful ' rollercam I come across a post concerning roller lifters.
(https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...60#post6288960 )

Am I to conclude from this that a SFT cam is the way to go ?

I've got a classic Mini Cooper who runs a SFT also without problems and the cam for the small cubes is way more aggressive. ( 84 ci / cam 280/290)
yes SD is very busy & being a one man shop, or at least one man replying to emails & technical questions, it can take a little while for a reply sometimes. dave has always replied to my emails even well after buying parts or services, but it can take a few days or a week sometimes, when he does reply he provides very detailed info, much more than expected.

as for lifter failures, its just like many other failures or problems, you only read about the bad ones & never the 10s of thousands doing fine, kinda like the cast crank failures. yes there are some lifter failures but the vast majority of street engines running a standard comp type hyd roller lifter dont have major failures... some tickers are more common but for either situation there are so many variables its hard to know why they failed. i have had 2 sets of comp roller lifters on a OF cam, the older ones did tick a little but SD & comp warranted them & replaced with the newer S type that have been mostly silent with thousands of street miles & lots of drag strip runs on them for 6+ years now... (knock on wood)

the hybrid SFT lifter on a hyd roller cam thing has been done quite a bit & cliff r swears by it being very reliable & quiet when lashed right.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: