View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd start by installing a high flow N/S assembly in the carb. Unlikely it got anything more than showed up in the rebuild kit that was installed in it.

If it already has one in it then take a look at fuel delivery to the carburetor.

None of the long spiel about 40 different machining "tricks", emissions, jetting, metering rods and needed internal modifications have anything to do with keeping the bowl full on hard runs.

I use a plain old 1977 Q-jet on my 455 making a lot more power and it's completely "stock" aside from slight modifications to the idle system, jets, metering rods, grinding a little off the stop so the secondary air flaps open further and a high flow N/S assembly. NOTHING will outrun it, dyno or at the track........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),