View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going throught the pile of original paperwork the other day and found the old Midas Muffler paperwork. Gramma bought the lifetime warranty shocks way back when. My brother got them replaced under the lifetime warranty back in 1984 and again in 1991. I figured after 20 years it was time again so I paid a little visit to the local Midas shop that is run by a friend of my mechanic buddy. The owner had a good laugh and ordered the shocks up for me.

The kids working there (who were not born when the original set...or the second...or third set was put on) could not figure out how to read the original paper warranty certficate and do the paperwork. All they kept saying was, "It's not on my computer. I don't know how to do this?"

The kid tried to convince me that I owed $198 for installation, and I referred him back to the certificate that states, "free parts and free labor." He couldn't believe they used to have that deal (it's only free parts nowadays).

The owner got a kick out of watching the young'ens squirm under this incrediblely arduous paperwork task, so he assigned his "old timer" to put the shocks on. (He had a 73 T/A way back when and enjoyed working on Gramma's car).

Lucky for them I replaced the original Midas single exhaust and transverse muffler years ago with my own dual setup, otherwise I would have gone the full exhaust route, too.

I didn't even start on the lifetime brake warranty, - as she only has 5000 miles since the work was done in '91.