View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Too many problems, Nick fault, the engine owner fault, the engine builders fault, the producers fault, nobodies fault, sun, moon and starts not lined up right, who cares. Just a bit too much "drama" for me and another half our of my life gone that I'll never get back. I've been on the dyno with just about every Pontiac engine we ever built here and absolutely and for sure you NEVER go there with unknown or untested components, like carbs and distributors, for example. Even if/when i took customers MSD's or HEI's, or their carburetors I ALWAYS took my own "test mules" along in case we had issues. You can waste all your time dinking around with unknown parts and before you know it you've ate up an entire dyno day and don't know any more when your finished than when you started.

The heads wouldn't need porting of any kind to make excellent numbers.

Decades ago I tested a very "basic" 400 with untouched #16's on it. It EASILY made over 1hp/CID with the Crower 60916 and 60243 cams in it. The 16's are close enough to 48's that the engine Nick was testing should have been somewhere close it 380-400hp without much effort.......IMHO
For some reason, I can relate to "old school Nick" Here is why. At my school, we dyno all kinds of different engines, from early 1920's 4-cyl Fords, to fuel injected Kasse Boss 9 engines to everything in between. From a $500.00 backyard rebuild to a 20K really scienced out engine. The set-up is different on every one of them, and every one has problems from very minor to an oil pan full of water from breaking through a thin wall porting a head.
I don't want to make too many excuses for Nick, but his little videos look all too familiar to me. We run a Pontiac on our dyno maybe one out of 200 engines. Nick may be about the same. He is a Mopar guy and I assume his reference to "large journal" is in comparison to Mopar with their 2.750" mains. Just a guess. His move to a M54F oil pump was not a good choice to us "Pontiac people", but a common go to for a non-Pontiac guy. I have a very hard time believing it would hurt a thing on that engine. Might cost them 2-3 HP if they drop to 10w-30 oil like they should. Drama is why most people watch videos anyway. I wish he would learn more about Pontiac engines and produce better results. But he doesn't upset me.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: