View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
The gasket I used was a 4 hole...unmodified. I do have a even thicker open qjet gasket but didn't take it with me. The better 60ft but same mph is telling me I might of lost a little upper rpm hp. I only shift at 5300. Even on the highway flooring it from 60 mph to 80 ir felt like it pulled harder with the 1/2" spacer over the no spacer but that could of been my imagination. With the 1/2" spacer I was using a 1/8th " gasket and a thinner one. With the 11/16" spacer I was using 2 thin ones.
On mine I run a 1/2" wood spacer that I made, with an opening between the secondaries. Either side of that spacer is just a paper thin gasket cut to fit.

If I remove the 1/2" wood spacer I'd likely replace it with one of the 1/4" thick open gaskets, not for the space, but to act more like an insulator. I'm always insulating the carb from heat with at least one of those gaskets, or a wood or phenolic spacer etc...and since I daily the car everywhere, I'm not looking to create heat soak drivability problems.

What I'm thinking is that switch would give me more room to play with the air cleaner lid. Not an issue on your car but on my firebird with the stock RA setup it's tight to the hood, just the way it is, and I've never liked the fact that the lid is nearly right on top of the choke horn. Not a great idea but they didn't have much to work with.

I may not find a darn thing with those small changes but I'm always willing to try stuff, it's part of the fun. Your feedback has me wondering if there is something there.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE