View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I'm just pokin fun

I think what has really driven the 200's to be popular among the BOP crowd is because that trans is offered with multi bells (BOP bolt patterns) making them a pretty easy bolt in. The other reason is their relatively small size fitting within the confines of the stock cross member. Pontiac guys have been swapping them going back into the late 1980's as far as I can remember. So it's been going on for a long time.

I lived down the street from Lonnie (Extreme Automatics) and there were some 8 second GN's running around with his transmissions. I've seen what those guys put them through with trans brakes and wheels up launches so I'm a believer that in the right hands they can be built to last. I also like the gear ratios they offer.

For me, since I was running a 400 turbo already, and being a Chevrolet anyway, the 4L80E was where I wanted to go. Electronic control was a big motivation for it as I wanted to leave the car in drive, program what I want and concentrate on driving the car at the track more consistently. The overdrive of course was the other motivation, allowing me to cruise now with the 4.10's like they aren't even back there.
i know you are. & i know you are aware of the 200 bashing comments im referring to. i was just curious what the ones that commented here with 200rs thought.

yeah early 90's is when i read about using them in 2nd gens in pontiac performance magazine articles.