Thread: '71 GTO
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 07:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW64OWNER View Post
I think you're saying the interior is non original pattern type more so then the color, is that right?
Yes, that is correct. Actually, I don't like the black and certainly not the non stock pattern. After seeing some pics of the jade green interior posted here, I'm almost certain that will be my choice. Not only will it be stock but it looks nice. I really want to try and keep this car as original as possible. Why 2 owners ago, that person would have changed the interior like he did, I'll never know. He had to buy a new interior so why not the jade green?? Goes back to the old saying, it's you car, do as you please with it. The dash and console are presently black as was the steering wheel. The previous owner used what I thought he said was lacquer thinner and removed the black paint on the wheel and steering column. You can actually see the green. Guess I'll have to experiment with the dash and console. Has me wondering if maybe the door panels are also painted?? I have a suspicion I will be finding out.

This car is coming with a green vinyl top that was never installed and two sets of trim for the top; one original and the other repo. I'm told that the car had a factory vinyl top but I want to see the PHS documentation first. The same person who changed the interior also had the car restored. For whatever reason, he bought this top but never had it installed. Had the holes filled and top painted. Hmmmm....................wonder why, not that it matters now. Anyhow, I stopped by a local trim shop yesterday and requested an estimate to have the vinyl top installed, using my top and trim. Guess I live in the dark ages; $650-$800. OUCH. Certainly not going to do it myself. Out of the question. So, I'll look elsewhere. Certainly don't want to sacrifice quality for money, but I think he was a little pricey, Carmine.