View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 10:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Quoted from Car Craft magazine July 2005
"In a time not long past there was that guy down the street from you – that special car-crafting guru who could tune an engine by ear. He was revered by the local gearheads for his uncanny knack for creating not just impressive power, but also transforming chugging street slugs into razor-sharp sweetheart engines. He was like the Pinball Wizard – the deaf, dumb, and blind kid who could play those flipper fingers like he was part of the machine. We were all in awe of the Carb Wizard. While that guy still exists, we’ve discovered a little piece of electronic technology that can turn almost any knowledgeable car crafter in a Carb Wizard. This latest development in hand held electronic-power knowledge is the affordable air/fuel-ratio meter."

We are fortunate to have several Carb Wizards on the PY Board: Jon Hargrove, Shaker455, Cliff Ruggles, and for a while we had the CSU Carb Guys.

At Holley and later Ford, We used Air Fuel Meters similar to the Horiba MEXA-730λ units $$$$ for our Holley Carb work (but much earlier versions and very expensive). I think I still have one stored away somewhere.

So today December 2017, there are very good units out there that can do most of the stuff that the old units did and can do it very well.

If you really want to get into carb tuning, you really need that piece of Air/Fuel equipment.

You can buy what you can afford but you really need something.

So earlier today, I showed you a picture of a Emulsion Tube that was installed in a Holley carb.
When you get into high power applications that part does not need to be there.

Tuner will tell a story about Dominator carbs (with the main jets completely removed) and the fuel flow past that emulsion tube in the main well was equivalent to a 100 carb jet.

The emulsion tube blocked any additional flow thru the circuit even with the jets completely removed.
So I am not a fan of three circuit Dominator carbs at all. Just me, do what you want to do, guys.

More on carbs tomorrow.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 12-26-2017 at 10:34 PM.