View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
From my own experiences I would agree that statement. Many times a faulty crank is blamed, but harmonics make that part fail rather than what it's made from.

If anyone here has ever observed a diesel engine at idle, and watched the fan belt in the area of the balancer, it is constantly changing speed as each cylinder comes up on compression, and then fires. That speed change is constantly trying to twist the crank forwards, and backwards. A diesel many times can be 22 to 1 compression, so it's roughly twice what a gasoline engine is. That's why it shows up at idle, and can be seen with the eye. Gasoline engines go through the same type of twist motions just at a lesser degree. This is one of the forces the the balancer tries to dampen. Take that dampening away, and material failure happens rather quickly. You'll find the weakest link in the chain

Just springing for a billet, or forged piece isn't any guarantee that the part will survive. The balancer will either lengthen the longevity, or if defective, will shorten the longevity of that shaft. Don't cheap out when it comes to what you hang on the front of that expensive crankshaft.
I did not cheap out on mine. I paid 440$ for mine and now they are 663 $

Ductile iron, nodular iron and Arma Steel, all the same thing. Rods and 4 bolt caps made out of it too.

https://harmonicdampers.com/index.ph...1ule6u3li6m4f5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 12-22-54 Pontiac HarmonicDampers.com by BHJ Dynamics Performance Harmon.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	605203  

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post: