View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 12:03 PM

Schmidt
I left in 2019.
The shop has been like that for a very long time.
Most of the equipment are 20+ years old. CNCs with 50kb of memory. (That's right 1/3 of an old floppy disc)
Set up guys don't have good tools, someone would steal them.
The company doesn't even give machinists rags when they need them.

So they just bolt the fixture on the machine anywhere, run the program and send the part to inspection.
Then edit the program by hand typing, run it again and repeat. If they get a usable part before they run out of castings, they keep making them.

Now that the Torrance building is sold, I was told some of the equipment went to San Jacinto where the foundry is, no one with the talent needed to fix the problems there would live near San Jacinto.
The foundry with flame and smoke and dust all around, and very loud sounds in that hot weather makes one wonder if hell would be any worse. No good CNC programmer, or machinist would do that job.
Especially these days in California, they could easily double, maybe triple their income working in Aerospace or Silicon Valley in shops with waxed tile floors and free catered food.

I think some may have been moved to the Comp Cams location, I have no insight as to whether that is better.