View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man don't tell me about those metal printers .... or laser rust removers, or high end material printers ... I WANT IT ALL, and I want it NOW

As Homer would say ... Mmmm, wheels I did have a momentary vision of printing an entire GTO model, I started to model one in CAD years ago but the body curves were beyond my skills.

I'm wondering how long before metal printing becomes garage suitable. Watched a video on it not long ago ... uses basically a 3D printer extruding metal particles suspended in a wax binder ... they print, then cook off the binder, then put in a sintering oven which fuses the particles. On the surface doesn't appear to be anything unreachable by the well-heeled hobbyist. (a club to which I don't belong).

Lately I've heard about a low melting point plastic you can print, then use the print in a "lost wax" type casting procedure ... always wanted to get into metal casting, the most I've done is melt aluminum into basic shape ingot molds for use in the lathe or milling machine.

Another dream .... a 50,000 ft/sq industrial building with all my friends with different skills set up in the same place, from carpentry to computers, you bring us a problem, we solve it.

If only the lottery would cooperate.