View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats and welcome to Nerdvana!

It's a great place to be and you've earned it.

I enjoy and admire seeing your projects. Keep posting so I can maintain nerd envy.... which is another way of saying your car and all you put into it is impressive.

I'm excited to see what you do with your DIY CAM.

My wonder years in ink-jet printer development keep me interested in printed parts technology but I have yet to pursue it. Before I retired, the ME designers I supported were CAD jockies and the machine shop on site had a high-end polymer printer. The MEs could whip out a test fixture directly from the product part models overnight.... beat the heck out of waiting for weeks.
An acquaintance has fun and makes decent hobby money replicating custom auto and truck wheels for scale modelers. You could definitely find a market for low-demand car parts like the Firebird emblem thread on this site.

I recently watched a Youtube video of a commercial laser-fused powder-met machine printing highly sophisticated pistons for Porsche.. quite impressive! The technology allows them to put metal only where the CAD stress analysis tells them it's needed. Where there's low stress, they print 3D mesh/honeycomb to save weight. Could not machine the same part.

Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post: