View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Playing with the 3D printer to learn it's capabilities and those of the various materials you can use.

Pic of some hardware I printed. All 3/8 - 16 thread. Downloaded the CAD files from McMaster and converted them to printable files in Autodesk Inventor.

This material is called PLA, a basic cheap plastic, very easy to print. Parts needed to be run through taps and dies for them to work properly. I can probably scale the prints up in size for the nuts, and down in size for the bolts to make them work without tapping etc. I'd guess 1 or 2 % would do it.

For the most part a person can download the CAD files for just about any part they want to use, including things like bearing, bushings, lead screws, pillow blocks, electrical enclosures etc etc. and prototype an entire project without having to actually buy the parts first. (McMaster has the CAD files for every single nut and bolt they sell, plus many for more complect parts.)

Can't wait to experiment with Nylon for more durable parts that will take under hood temps, and TPU (a soft rubber like material) for use as gaskets and weather stripping.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Printed-Hardware.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	603244