View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 06:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

242177P, believe me, that question as been foremost on my mind, and parts like those badges have been dancing around in my head.

At present it's looking like the best accuracy I can expect from my DIY CNC would be in the area of +/- .003". It's got a 24,000 rpm spindle so small tooling and fine detail should not be a problem if the accuracy is up to snuff.

While I feel I could CAD model a part like that badge no problem, my CAM skills are limited at present and I would be at the mercy of whatever software I used to generate the G-code.

There will of course be example photos within a couple of months

If I can nail down 3D printing with materials like ABS and Nylon, and get the little CNC working .. I have dreams of making extremely time consuming, expensive, small Pontiac parts that you could otherwise buy for very little money with a few clicks on the internet Which is my usual MO when doing a restoration

I don't think I'll ever escape the habit of approaching any technology with the question ... "How can I use this to make something for the GTO?"

When I learned how to drive stepper motors the first thing that entered my mind was of course ... "Wow, I bet these could make a really good hideaway headlight motor"