View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brengun View Post
I was just curious what it would take. I have no interest in these heads at all. If I upgrade to aluminum heads I am looking at Kre d port ones. I'm not too fond of sending money to China and prefer to send it to (smaller) US based outfits to help keep them and the hobby alive. (perhaps the next post will disappoint me and tell me the Kre heads are also chinesium)..
I have not seen the defect so very hard to estimate the cost to repair it. Generally, if the press fit is just not tight enough, the old seats can be cut out and a .010" oversize OD seat ring can be pressed in. This may require a small clean-up cut in the counterbore for the seat. If the seat area OD is compromised, and there is not enough material under the seat for the new seat ring, then welding has to happen. Welding paper thin cast aluminum is difficult and the difference between the weld and the heat treated aluminum base metal is not the same. All in all, as soon as you start welding on an aluminum head, it is compromised from that point forward. I would say at a bare minimum, removing 16 seats from an aluminum head, replacing them, performing a valve job and blending the bowls, would take a full day of work with a manual machine like I have. Sunnen seat and guide machine. Cost of seats about $15.00 each. So $250.00 for seats. About $800.00 labor. Minimum $1000.00 That's no welding and no other issues. That's why it is a total loser of an idea. Start with good heads and sleep at night. If the manufacturer says their seats may be loose, they have had an issue. Otherwise, why would they say anything? BTW, KRE heads are cast in Ohio, USA.

Last edited by mgarblik; 12-04-2022 at 10:09 AM.