View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrusher-M22 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I’m not committed to using the items that came in the package. Most will probably just be sold. I’ll build the bottom end strong enough to handle future upgrades. I’ll probably use the 5C heads for now and perhaps my refund check can go towards a set of Edelbrock heads.

Which type head is preferred D port or Round port? If they’re both flowing the same does it matter?

Are the performance gains of roller valve train worth the added investment? Or is flat tappet sufficient?

Last question.. I have an Edelbrock RPM intake. Should I swap for a Torker?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
something to consider on the pistons, they are Hypereutectic & i have heard lots of horror stories of broken ring lands if they are not set up exactly right or if any detonation happens. for this type of build i think a good forged piston would be better, talk to butler about their ross or other brand piston that will work with the rods you buy. maybe some others can comment on the pistons, a few years back a lot of people would steer people away from them.

if you are considering aluminum heads, it would be best to just buy them now & save the cost of porting or going through the 5c or buying the 6x heads. 6x & 5c are practically identical in flow so i dont think they are any better, the 6x4 just have smaller chambers for a little higher compression but the 5c8 can easily be milled some to get the same compression.

D ports dont flow as much as the round ports out of the box but they are definitely easier to get headers for that are usually cheaper than O-port headers.

roller cam will make more power than an equal size FT cam & added benefit of less lifter/lobe failures & can use regular oil, but many are still fighting with noise issues from roller lifters, i use the comp S lifters & so far they are pretty quiet, at full heat soak temps they can barely start to sound like a rhoads lifter, doesnt bother me over the 3" exhaust noise though. its ~$1000 for a roller set up so depends on your budget, nothing wrong with a FT cam of the right size as cliff mentioned.

for the intake, the RPM is taller than stock so depends if you have hood clearance to use it, or mess with drop base air cleaners. if running a holley
square bore carb the torker2 is good but for a q-jet a factory (ported) intake or maybe an aluminum holley street dominator or other brand would work.

& definitely dont need steel main caps, factory caps are fine at this power level & street use, even if going roller cam & alum heads the stock caps are OK, but consider upgrading to ARP main studs, i was told by my engine builder & many reputable pontiac gurus that the stock 2 bolt main caps with studs are good for 600hp.