Thread: Clutch fork
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 04:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are you referring to this? If so, I do have it installed correctly. Unfortunately this trans has been out enough times I’ve become aware of the proper installation. I don’t have a picture handy but oddly enough, the portion where the fork presses against the bearing when disengaging the clutch does seem to wear rather quickly. Not sure if that’s normal or a result of poor geometry for some reason.

Full disclosure, I swapped a 76 ST-10 into my 77 T/A, which was an automatic, 8 or so years ago so this isn’t a factory setup though the fork was supposed to be the original fork from the 76 the trans came out of.

Never had issues till I was recently chasing a clutch chatter issue and replaced my flywheel, clutch, PP and T/O bearing. Haven’t gotten many miles on it but I may have had the linkage too tight as the T/O bearing started making noise. Replaced it yesterday which fixed the noise but I decided to investigate the bearing clearance further which led me to discover it spins with the PP even though I can’t see any diaphragm fingers touching it by looking through the inspection hole in the bell. They must be touching on the “top” but that’s even with quite a bit of slack adjusted into the linkage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9792.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	613577  

Brian