View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 08:59 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith646671 View Post
Thanks Tom V.

Thought I saw you recommending 66 factory manifold and Holley center with rochester ends a few posts back vs BG setup??

My mule is a 75 400 motor so I believe I will have to grind front cover and manifold to fit 66 trip per Wallace website .. trip intake hits later front cover. Actually trip is destined for my 66 389 which supposedly trip fits on no mod per Wallace. That car a NE clambake summer cruiser 66 Star Chief probably only needs center. Got 50 feet rubber in my mule with 2bbl 71 455 2.73 welded posi. Tho not a trip manifold.
I recommend the Rochester 66 set-up for several reasons.

The adaptors are available to go from the 1966 Tri-power Manifold to the Holley 2-BBL carbs. The smaller Center Carb opening on the 65 and earlier intakes may position the carb in a different spot. I have never tried using a
1965 or earlier intake.

As far as the timing cover goes, the 1966 type timing cover had a relief cast in the cover so that the front mounted water gooseneck would clear the cover. You can remove the timing cover and weld a recess into the cover or you can buy a new aluminum gooseneck and grind away (mill is better) clearance in the two parts and then weld a flat piece into the modded water neck.

The Barry Grant intakes were very rare, the 1st run castings were un-useable, the 2nd run casting were un-useable, and the third run casting
were acceptable for the Pontiac application. The Chevy group of intakes may be better.

"Thought I saw you recommending 66 factory manifold and Holley center with rochester ends a few posts back vs BG setup??"

You thought wrong. I would never suggest a bastardized combination like that. All Rochester carbs or all Holley carbs is what I suggested.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.