View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 AM
Senior Chief

Hi, I'm is the same situation as u, in 2005 July 28, I had a construction accident, where I fell 16" & my landed on a aluminum
Extention Ladder that was laying on the ground, I shattered my right hip & the to lower L4 & L5 disc in my back bone, & severe nerve damage I broke the "ball" off the femoral neck, the femoral neck was shattered into 7-10 pieces. Was in the hospital for some time & many surgerys.
As of today I can walk! But my right hip is a deformed mess, I have no femoral neck anymore, the ball is connected directly to the long straight femer , so now my leg is 3/4" shorter than it use to be. I can only move my leg forward & backwards, I cannot I've it out. I have severe nerve damage pain, but atleast I can walk. & am not on a wheelchair!!!! I have developed AV (avascular necrosis ) in the ball & need my hip replaced also. I have been putting it off as ling as possible due to my age( I just turned 35 when I had the accident , I will be 42 years ago this coming June 1,2012.
I have done alot of research on hip replacement. I was told by my Ortho doctor & have read , that it will most last only 10-12 year. The younger u r, the shorter time the replacement will last, the u should think of the fake hip, like a tire instead of think in miles for wear, think in "steps". The replacement hips are good for xxxxx number of steps. The younger & more mobile u r, the faster it will wear out!!!!!
When I get mine in the next year or so, I will be having a metal on metal installed, it is the most durable type, & in lab sudies it lasted 50+ years!! the only concern , & potential hazard in the mircoscopic metal ions the get worn off the hip replacement. They Iver time, they do not know what effect the metal ions building up in ur bloodstream will cause over 20-50 year. It may cause cancer or some unknown health problem, or do nothing!!!
So I am very interested in this thead