Thread: Air flow
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I've found very similar results and have tested all sorts of air cleaner assemblies, lids, filters, etc. Over the years I've mentioned this numerous time but often it goes on deaf ears. Makes me wonder how many folks have added a taller intake, or spacer(s), then a drop-base set-up and think they are making more power than what they removed?

In any case I can find no combination of parts that runs as quick in ET or MPH as the factory Shaker base, stock filter, lid and open Shaker assembly pulling all the air in from outside.

Some of the parts I tested actually induced a HUGE hesitation/stumble/bog going quickly to full throttle, so much so that I couldn't get a good drag strip run using them.

The K & N X-Treme lid was the WORST part tested. With it in place it was impossible to make a full pass at the track, the engine just "puked" all over itself on the starting line. No lid at all it was fine, or the stock lid and no issues.

IF I put any of those "flat" lids in place it did basically the same thing as the K & N lid, so some set-ups can be very sensitive to this sort of thing.

In any case with all runs the quickest in ET and MPH for back to back testing has been the factory parts and stock height air filter. Even replacing it with a K & N filter gained NOTHING, so much for all that marketing genius.......FWIW......Cliff
What height and diameter filter do you run? Does your shaker style hood allow for a taller filter? Also, have you run shorter filters(2”)? How did these affect your performance?

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile