View Single Post
Old 12-19-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Thanks for all of the responses, they are all helpful. And I realize I should have given more information in my first post. My customer does wear a prosthetic leg, but I can't describe the design/type that it is. He called me last week to say he had finally driven the car (on his farm property) for the first time since the surgery, and that it was a bit painful to operate the clutch because of the pressure it required. Without going through the receipts I'm pretty sure I put a Ram brand diaphragm clutch in it.
Because he lives an hour and a half away, I think I'll go and visit him to see what his limitations are and talk about some possibilities.
Sounds like this is a fairly recent amputation. The end of the stump will take some time to heal depending on his health and the skill of the surgeon who did the amputation and sewed the flap on. There are a lot of nerve endings looking for something that isn't there anymore. I can tell you mine took a little while to heal and "toughen up". Find out if this is a temporary prosthetic or his permanent one. If it's his permanent one he should fit into the socket without any discomfort. If it's his permanent one he may need an adjustment or two to the socket especially if it's his first one. His stump will change a lot the first year or two. If it's causing him pain to work the clutch he should talk to his prothetist also. We made a lot of adjustments to my 1st one so it would be more comfortable to me to walk, hike, ride a bike, etc. On my 3rd one now. My amputation happened 7 years ago on Dec 22. I'm 67 now and don't let it slow me down. Best of luck to your customer!