View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I don't believe any of these publications have broached engine block selection, at least not in regards to how one would go about determinging which "garden variety" block was better than another "garden variety" block.
Yeah,that's kinda true,I see your point Brian,really I do,but should we,the contributors to this thread,be admonished for trying to correct any possible oversights in that respect?

Granted there's a lot of "meaty info" that never gets into these (or any) books or such,as the books stick mostly to the "cream" of the pontiac hi-perf. parts realm,but is'nt that what places like this are supposed to address,shine the light where the light rarely gets shone.

To boldly learn,what's only known,to but a few!!!....
OOPS,damn I'm starting to sound like an old star trek rerun...LOL

IMO this is all relevant data,and as such there are people out there who like to understand what they're dealing with,and what to look for when inspecting these pieces for consideration.

To me this is no different than finding a correctly date coded intake for a specific engine combination during a restoration or such.

To do such almost everybody relies on some sort of base of reference for determining the quality of the info at hand.

It's just that it amazes me why anybody would be so over-protective of this kind of info in the first place if it's like some here keep trying so hard to convince all the rest of us,that it's this "non-issue",like it's something that's not worthy of even considering...

Then why not part with the info???

Folks,here's a little experiment,,,try telling your wives (or friend,or such) you got a secret,but that it's not important enough for her (them) to know and see how well that goes over with her (them)...

Perfect way to drive them crazy,right...

HIS,I gotta admit I probably came off a bit harsh earlier,sorry 'bout that,but in this thread your tendency has been to jump in and make a few cryptic comments that come off in a sarcastic manner,and then duck out without really adding much,it just seems to me that it distracts from the main topic,but hey,,,that's cool I guess,,,it's a free world right...

Quote:
My EXPERIENCE with looking over stock blocks has reached a conclusion: good luck with thaat.
See it's comments like this that beg a response,something like:
"Soooo what are you building these days HIS???
How many IA-1,IA-II,MR-1 combos do you have???"
Yeah,,,good luck with thaat indeed...

Quote:
How a fella goes about bolting them can be fine or ruinous.
Again,in the past you've made your views on that subject known,and I've never ridiculed or derided you for them,even though plenty others may have,and there are tons out there who use studs contrary to your preference for OE bolts.

But these are the type of comments that can detract from the point at hand,how does any of this stuff further this topic???

Again,not trying to be a d!ck,,,but just trying to make a point,,,can you see what I'm getting at here???

You mentioned the 425A,so that's what you want to see,wish I could help you there,but alas,seeing as how I dont have one,I cant help ya'll with that one myself,but my question in response to that would be this,how many folks you think are going to go thru the trouble to dig one of those up,and then adapting it to fit into a late model chassis???

Probably not very many,but if this thread keeps one person from blowing up their $#!t by putting together an engine with weak block like those "thin web" blocks,then this thread has been worth it IMO.

I know what your talking about with regards to the earlier blocks though HIS,they have the rib that runs parallel to the pan rail on the one side,and they are pretty meaty,think they carried some of this over into a few of the later programs like the RA V program,some of that stuff in is pictured in the McCarthy books.

Sometimes 10% stronger is what it takes to survive,,,at least for some...

I welcome any and all pics myself though!!!
The more the better,new blocks,old blocks,oddball blocks you name it!

If even a fraction of the forum members posted just a couple pics of their blocks just sitting around in a thread like this,the resulting value to all would be imense IMHO.

I did what I could,took the pics,gave the info,and put them here for all to see,hopefully more will do the same,like to see this one grow a life of it's own,but that'll depend on all the rest of ya'll.

I'm gettin down off the soap box now folks,the ball is in ya'lls court...

Bret.