View Single Post
Old 01-04-2024, 05:04 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"With the stuff he has he could find a sbc 400 truck block and build a fast and reliable bracket engine far cheaper."

Stock 400 crank shined up with some 600-grit paper and a shoe lace, stock rods, light forged pistons, World Products Sportsman heads (untouched other than much better springs), Victor intake, 850DP carb, flat solid cam around 260-265 @ .050" on a 106LSA, stock points distributor (locked out) to trigger the 6AL box, stock $20 stock oil pump, $25 stock 3/4" wide timing set and into a good friend's bracket car at 3400lbs race weight. Ran 6.50's @ 105-106 mph right off the trailer shifting at 5800rpm's.

Didn't even bore that engine, just a light clean up with a hone and pressed the pistons in my shop press heating the small end of the short 5.56" rods with a propane torch. A true "shoestring budget" race engine with excellent returns for the dollar spent.

He ran that engine for at least 10 seasons w/o touching it.

Unrelated to the 428 build in question here other than it'll take at least twice the money to build this 428 for half the return. Even so 428's are good starting points for a nice Pontiac engine build. They will make the power of the larger 455's with some compression and a little bit more cam in them, and easier on the internals at the same time.......
Mikes reply:

From a monetary perspective, "If I need to bore this 428 ci motor at all, would it be more cost effective to bore as much as I can and while using the "041" Cam and the existing Heads or is it more cost effective to go higher in Cam and Piston bore size, because it won't cost that much more to do so"?

P.S. The only limit I have is that the Heads are stock rebuild.

My original thought is to lightly build this motor and sell it to someone who needs a 1967 Pontiac YK code 428 ci HO stock as can be, as it has the "041" Cam installed.

Then I use those funds to buy or build a Pontiac Motor that is comparable to today's HP ratings.

In any case, this Engine is being rebuilt, to what HP rating is yet to be determined.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 01-04-2024 at 05:31 AM.