View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
The lift height of the engine hoist arm would be in question though.
Thanks for mentioning that.

MOST "engine hoists" sold in the last twenty years are pure trash. There were plenty of crappy ones forty years ago. Plenty of folks I talk to about engine hoists have never seen a properly-engineered engine hoist.

What is SOLD as a "2-ton" hoist is really a budget-built one-ton or even 3/4 ton hoist with a too-short lifting arm because a proper lifting arm would overwhelm the crappy, undersized hydraulic ram. They can call it a two-ton hoist only because the lifting arm (boom) is so tiny.

Which then means the entire hoist framework is small, thin and flimsy; but that makes 'em easier to ship from Asia.

I have two engine hoists. One came from Sam's Club decades ago; the other I bought when I moved--I needed a hoist at the old house; and another at the new place. The second hoist is another of the nameless, generic junk engine hoists that will barely lift an engine; and won't lift it very high because of the short, cheap boom. If you're pulling the trans with the engine, you're gonna need to lift the thing to the moon to get the trans over the radiator.

Here's what a real hoist can do: Cadillac 500, Turbo 425, suspension, steering, brakes, tires and front half of the frame from a '73 ElDorado. Consistent with safe practice, this is not anywhere near as high as it would lift, just enough to get it loaded onto the trailer.
(No, the crappy hoist at the other end of the road was not used to remove this from the trailer!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine_Hoist_01.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	572837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine_Hoist_02.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	572838