View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default brand versus brand (sheetmetal)

I am going to probably test the local supplier that I have been buying parts from;
They are goodmark distributor.

I believe an order was placed with them last week, and (one part being local not withstanding) I have understood I am waiting probably six weeks... ugg.

Last evening I was scraping an area that I though to be solid, and found a large perforation (in addition to repairs needed in the forward lower edge where they connect to the rocker);
I previously saw it was crusty inside the wheel well, but didn't think it went through;
Well, sure enough near the top of the seatback there is a 1/4" gap about three inches long...
but otherwise there's beautiful shiney original primer (under the tar and glue that held the tar paper there) on the inside, and nice original paint (under the tar coating) on the outside... so I am now considering getting rear wheel houses.

I am looking on ebay right now (I am guessing that if I order something on ebay with their global shipping it will get here exponentially quicker than the locals), and can see the same part, from the same seller, but two brands;
In this case it's AMD & Goodmark.

AMD:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39256345132...6&toolid=10001

Goodmark:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39268958028...6&toolid=10001

What really caught my eye was the price difference of over $100!?

I had previously thought that the market was such that the two were essentially the same, and quite probably all made at the same place.
I'd earnestly appreciate hearing thoughts and/or opinions.

Are the two not the same?

Is one brand thinner gauge?

Does one brand have more authentic stamping?

Is this just a matter of AMD is running with lower supply, and can charge more at this time because their network is a little overextended considering supply??

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)