View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to Youtube, and reference "defective jack stands", plenty of videos there that are brands besides HF.

Yes, as we all know one or two chinese plants just paint them different colors, and slap different stickers on them. HF is probably the biggest target at this time, so they were the first one to issue a recall.

This shows exactly how little value the chicoms place on human life (or any life, if you remember the dog treat/food fiasco), and how much value they place on money, over lives.

Years ago some offshore made jack stands were made from exhaust tubing sawed into three legs with a sheetmetal band spot welded to the legs after they were splayed. They had a pin that allowed height adjustment for an inner piece of tube that had a sheet metal frame saddle welded to it. I believe they were rated at 3 tons.

When I bought out the guy that previously owned my garage/gas station, I inherited a pair of these stands. When stripping out the 69 GP race car in my signature pics, I used them to hold up the rear of the car. I doubt the rear of the car weighed more than 1/2 ton after all the components were removed. All that was remaining was the frame, main body sheet metal, and the rear axle. After sitting on those stands for 2-3 weeks, I came in one morning to find the car sitting on the floor. One stand had collapsed and pulled the car sideways tipping over the remaining stand.

If anyone still has any of these antique stands around, I'd recommend tossing them before something like this happens to someone else. Picture below:

They were sold by a bunch of retailers, with different paint and stickers.

Article from the H.A.M.B. about these 3 legged stands, it shows a picture of the failed collapsed stand:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ill-you.97173/

One more thing to add, If you're working on an asphalt driveway, the jack stands will sink into the asphalt, the higher the ambient temperature the quicker they sink, and they can tip over. I try to use a board, or piece of plywood under them to alleviate tearing up the asphalt and avoid them tipping over.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 05-20-2020 at 11:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: