View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Hey gang - since I've never held a factory aluminum intake (I'm talking '71-'72 455HO here) nor seen one side-by-side with the reproductions, how can you tell them apart?

Or, in other words, what's the easiest way to identify that you're looking at an actual factory OEM intake vs. a reproduction?

There's one for sale in a facebook group currently that's supposedly OEM but it has terribly aligned port openings. I've heard that the repros are really bad for this but the factory intakes should be pretty good, right? At least no worse than the typical iron intake?
another thing to be aware of is the service replacement intakes sold over the counter after the originals... they had the plenums not as deep as originals & some reported a small reduction in HP over true originals although im sure its minimal.

the date code for a true original will be within a small range of the cars year, SR intakes will be dated after 69-72, ive seen them dated as late as mid to late 70's. i saw that intake on FB but you cant see the date in the pics, would be worth asking for a pic or to confirm the date. theres a few threads on here you can search for regarding this, rocky rotella did some research on the details of this. just something to be aware of when paying the prices for claimed originals.

Last edited by 78w72; 11-15-2021 at 10:37 AM.