View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Growing up as a kid in the 60,'s I remember my Mom, and her mother coming together in our home, having a couple of canning events. We grew all kinds of stuff all mentioned here.
We had a fairly large garden plot. The last couple of years that we lived at this particular home (Center Point, Iowa, I still consider it to be be a pretty close facsimile to Mayberry...) our dying neighbor lady invited us to plant and use her equally large garden spot, as well. I was across the street from a field, that usually had corn growing in it. One spring we had a huge rain event ( not unusual in Iowa). A bunch of of the top soil had washed across the street onto the gartden. I'd like to tell you that the rich humus black soil made a difference in that garden, but it did not. The soil that saw there to start with was already that perfect BLACK RICK Iowa soil that much of the state has already had!!!

We hadneighbors and friends that had lots of purple grapes, that invited us to pick all we wanted. My Mom always made tons of grape Jelly. My Mom got a recipe for canning grape juice (not wine, mind you, not in our home). My had grape juice to drink for a couple of months after canning, it was great!!!
My Mom found a recipe for making home made ketchup. It was not so great, but she used it in making stews and soups. That worked out well. Man my mom was a great cook!!!
It was a pretty big process to can corn, except we cut it off the cob and put it in the plastic bags that went inside of these squares white containers. To prep the corn for eating , you couol put the plastic bags in boiling water. My brother's wife does the corn freezing, to this day. Everyone loves that corn at Christmas and Thanks giving!!!

Jon, thanks for this thread. It's a great "feel good" for me as I am recouping from an auto accident!!!
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post: