View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
Formulajones is correct that a slightly taller air filter will lift the lid and allow better turning radius into the carb throats and a lot less turbulence. If you can't find a 1/2" taller filter of the same diameter you need to fit your air cleaner base, you can raise your stock air filter by coiling a min. 4' length of 3/8" windshield wiper jug hose under the filter. You can barely see that the lid is elevated and the 3/8" gap between it and the base. We do frown on 1" taller air filters since it is so obvious to the techs. We don't allow 4" tall open element air filters either, or aftermarket open air filters for that matter. The AC 212 air filter (14" x 3") will flow all the air the pure stock engines need. The A-body dual snorkle air cleaners are good flowing and the 3/8" raised lid helps more with smoothing the air flow.

Proper timing, jetting, and exhaust will net the largest gains, but a good dual snorkel air cleaner with a clean 212 filter will be 95% there for any additional power gains from the intake side.

P.S. I never did try 'with' and 'without' runs, but will the next time we head to the track...which is next year for us...bummer!

Dennis
Thanks for the clarification Dennis. Something else I've noticed a few are doing at some of the other stock races that I always thought was frowned upon, is taking the big 16" lid off and running a little 14" lid on top of the filter, basically exposing everything while keeping the dual snorkel in place. Noticed a couple of LT1 350 guys doing it which uses a similar type of air cleaner although on a smaller scale.

While I would frown on that at tech at a pure stock race, it's worth mentioning in this case if the OP wants to test something since we aren't playing by the rules. It's pretty easy at the track to remove the 16" lid and replace with a 14" lid to see how that affects the car. That might give you an idea of a direction to go.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE