View Single Post
Old 07-05-2023, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
I don't ever remember seeing this fluid. Dexron VI was supposed to be a replacement for everything that came before it.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/he..._Dexron_VI.pdf
The GM bulletin (revision D) says:
Quote:
DEXRONŽ-VI can be used in any proportion in past model vehicles equipped with an automatic
transmission/transaxle in place of DEXRONŽ-III (i.e. topping off the fluid in the event of a
repair or fluid change). DEXRONŽ-VI is also compatible with any former version of DEXRONŽ
for use in automatic transmissions/transaxles.
Doesn't say squat about compatibility with Type A, or Type A Suffix A.

There may be a newer version of this bulletin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
This is just Dextron III, right? Hope so, because that's what I put in my T56 Magnum (calls for Dextron III ATF).
There is no "t" in Dexron.

III (H) is the latest/best version of Dexron III, but without the Dexron tradename.

There was also III (F) and III (G).

Are you seeing the pattern? Major changes get a numeral upgrade, and a letter upgrade. Minor changes get a letter upgrade only--from Type A to Type A Suffix A, to Dexron (B), Dexron II (C), Dexron II (D), Dexron II (E), Dexron III (F), Dexron III (G) and finally Dexron III (H). GM did very little to acknowledge the letter upgrades, most folks don't know about 'em.

This number/letter system was wounded after Dexron III (H), when they dropped the Dexron trade name and started using only "III H", or in the aftermarket "Dex-Merc" or some-such. And then they more-or-less skipped to Dexron VI (J), perhaps to align with the year it was introduced (2006) while skipping the letter "I" because in some fonts it looks a lot like the number "1". The number/letter system then fell apart completely after Dexron VI (J) due to incompetence, complacency, and poor/needlessly complex engineering.

Dexron HP is not backwards-compatible.

Dexron ULV is not backwards-compatible.

There's now so many different and non-compatible non-interchangeable yet frightfully expensive and exotic tranny fluids* you'd think the world has gone crazy.

*THESE kind of "Tranny Fluids" do not include Bud Light. Drink that crap at your own peril.

Last edited by Schurkey; 07-05-2023 at 09:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: