View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Belt seems ok so far.

15-1/2 mpg, in town driving only. Once belt shows to be reliable will try a run up to Santa Fe.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here, from the practical standpoint,
you went from a 440" Pontiac V8, to an LS with 376" or less, correct ?
raving about mileage from a motor that is 64" or more smaller, doesn't mean you got a better motor.
you just got a new, smaller motor.
the old one you had, albeit larger, was outlawed by EPA back around 1979, it couldn't meet future mileage, EMISSION standards.
question- why are you building an emissions/mileage standards engine ?
the beauty of these old cars, you can put an antique plate on them, never get registration or inspection again, and the insurance goes down to $50 a year for basic liability. what about that savings ?
the money you spent on the build would buy a lot of gas even at $8 a gallon, with the old motor.
just remember this, they call those LS motors by liter names, 5.3 5.7 6.2
because numbers like 376 don't sound very impressive.
Pontiac had a 6.5 liter back in 1964. that's .3 liter more than the 6.2 LS
honestly I don't think it was a good move. it's like doing touchup work on the Mona Lisa painting
it just completely devalues and ruins what it is, historically.
having said that good luck with the LS- I never found out what size it was, because the original link to Ebay has long expired. 15.5 mpg ?
honestly you could have got that mileage easily with a 326-350-389 Pontiac. with a carburetor. I used to get 14mpg with a 400 and a Qjet, in a Firebird.
my brother in law used to drive a Nova with a 350 Pontiac and Qjet to work all week. he got 18mph highway, with 3.08 gears, Saginaw 4 speed.
I bought a 1994 Mercedes V12 6 liter, used for $1500
it can do 180mph on the highway, factory 402hp, yet gets 18mph on the highway. 6 liter. 12 cylinder. if you want a Euro cruiser, I'd suggest just buy one.
these are all friendly suggestions. no harm or foul intended. just objective opinion. the LS in my opinion, is not the better engine.
it's the legal engine, what the EPA allowed people to have since 1998, from GM.