View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc View Post
Maybe you just need a higher stall torque converter to bring the rpm's up when you start from zero mph. I doubt you are going to get anyone to agree with you about advancing that cam to move the power band lower, to gain more power.
I thought I read that is how one "moves" the power band (not to gain any power) and why. Maybe I misunderstood what I read.

About the Torque Converter - I broke my original one months ago and have been testing to find out what was wrong. I suspected the torque converter from the start. I had to read and study about the TH400 transmission and torque converters for the last 4 months. I rebuilt the valve body with a B&M shift kit, cleaned the Governor tube screen, cleaned the pressure boost valve and used various additives to the transmission. I changed the vacuum modulator, too. The transmission got a little better, but ultimately failed.

Finally, I ran the vehicle for about 300 miles, and it was just getting worse over time. I pulled the torque Converter and the bushing was damaged because I went over a Tree root beneath an asphalt driveway causing damage to the bushing that slowly got worse until it completely failed. Now I am shopping for a new torque converter, here is were I am now : first I shopped Summit and they tried to sell me a Hughes # GM 20 BPO 400 BP, I cancelled that deal and shopped more and found this : ACC PERFORMANCE - Through Boss Hog # 46022 street bandit with 10" diameter, that is supposed to give me an extra 35 HP, I did not buy it because there was only 90 day Warranty. Next I went directly to Hughes so I can speak to any one who could answer my questions.

At that time I thought I might have a Switch Pitch converter, turns out to be negative on that idea. Hughes said the 10" converter will run to hot in my 428 ci Th 400 and Gear Vendors application. So they sell me this: GM 20 BPO HD 400 BP AND TELL ME THIS TC can BE USED IN A (RV) application. This is the Heavy Duty version of the one Summit almost sold me on.

The used torque converter that I removed had weld marks outside the casting and could have been a variable vane torque converter. I Sent the broken one in and they opened it and found it was to a TH 400 model. So since I never raced the car and went with Hughes advice I now have a brand new rebuilt torque converter on the shelf, waiting to go in.

Be careful, when I bought the torque converter from Hughes the salesman told me one thing and did not stick to his deal. So get the deal written up and emailed to your account,so they don't pull the same thing with you. They don't want the return core unless it is local and will keep your core after charging you shipping. I found out that it only costs $25.00 one way to ship through Summit. Hughes charged me $50 one way. This is what Kevin at Hughes sold me : $316.70 +$50 ship =$366.70 + $50 core =$416.70, so now I was to receive the return label to send my used TC back to Hughes and there is no label.

So me being an honorable person I send the TC back, at my own expense at a cost of $104, expecting a refund credit with my core refund. Kevin said, did you check your email for the core shipping label, yes i said, not there. So now Kevin said, that I should have reminded him to send the shipping label out to me instead of mailing the TC to him at my expense. I said don't I feel like a fool I should have kept the core, Kevin said " yes you should have kept the core". He should have sent the shipping label in the box with the new TC . Which I found out later they don't want the core if its too far away anyway. How come when I said I was going to send the TC to him, he did not stop and say hold it I will send you a shipping label. All I wanted to know is "if my used core was a Switch pitch or not" . And that question costs me nothing.

Note this, when I buy direct from the manufacture I expect to be treated like the customer is always right, even if they're wrong. This is what Sears thought me when I was young and that is how I treat customers since. I am not done dealing with Hughes on this one yet. Now that I got that off my chest where were we, oh did I buy the wrong TC, should I have gone with the smaller diameter, perhaps I should have started this thread before I went out to buy something.

Last edited by Stuart; 08-28-2021 at 09:58 AM.