View Single Post
Old 04-18-2022, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I guess the main question is, Why does Hedman make headers that don't fit the application?

The only other alternative is to offset the engine in the chassis further to the right/passenger side. If my memory is correct, it is already offset somewhat with factory mounts, but moving it a little more is possible. Maybe further offset, and header dimpling could both be applied.

I saw the engine masters with the beat to death headers, and it appeared not as critical as some would think it was.

No doubt that a rear steer car puts the steering box in the wrong position for header clearance, especially with the exhaust location on an already wide engine design.

Another forum addressing the same problems with large tube headers in a first gen car:

http://pontiaczone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24292
My guess is this has something to do with the High Port heads. I believe the raised ports also effect the location of the exhaust flange. If it's raised, it's pushing the header tubes outwards slightly, towards the frame rails, right where the steering box is located.

I have a pare of headmen three tube headers on my D port car and they are only about an 1/8th inch away from the steering box. Add a true 4 tube header with a true 2" primary, and push it outward, it's a recipe for clearance issues.

Pontiaco, what's your intended use of the car? You don't really state, but based on your first post it sounds like you went to decent length to produce a modern, quick ratio box. Is this car a pro-touring style build, or being setup for auto-x, open track etc? Is it a corner carver?

If that's a yes, you're not going to want a stock style manual steering box anyway. First the lock to lock distance is far too great for any amount of decent turn in. Additionally, the lack of power assist will make getting a proper alignment basically impossible. Not that you can't get a good amount of caster into the system, but your steering effort would end up being atrocious. Add wide, sticky tires and things just get worse.