View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
This problem is not limited to mail order parts. I have brought parts to the shop from the local parts store only to open the box and find a core in there, not even the re-manufactured part. Rebuilt calipers with the rights and lefts mixed-up in the boxes, alternators with stripped threads, one with a broken mounting bolt still in it! It's really terrible. Then what is the alternative? Buy new Chinese junk that is worse than the defective re-manufactured stuff. If my customers are willing to wait a few days, I will rebuild their OE starter and alternator for them. But finding rebuild parts is tough too. There is allot of junk out there. Repacks just add another layer of the unknown to the equation.
Being on the selling side of the counter I know this to be a fact. People who return parts tell you they ended up not needing a part when it's clearly been installed. Policy is that EVERY box that isn't sealed is to be opened and inspected for use and damage. I try to teach my co-workers what to look for but when it's real busy, it doesn't always happen. Most people are cheap and want the lowest priced part. I got to the point when I do side work if they want the cheapest brakes I won't do the work, I tell them to go else where.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge