Thread: Clutch chatter
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 07:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Clutch chatter

Maybe not F body specific necessarily but after reinstalling my engine (searching for low oil pressure thread) I’m having issues with clutch chatter. My car is a 77 T/A that I 4 speed swapped maybe 8-10 years ago. That setup featured a stock flywheel I had resurfaced, LUK clutch kit, factory fork and the remainder of the clutch linkage was aftermarket. That setup worked great until around 5 years ago.

I pulled the engine at that time and since the trans had some noise I was unsure about I decided to have it refreshed/rebuilt. To make a long story short, that shop gave me a plethora of headaches on top of the fact that I had new clutch chatter that wasn’t there. I don’t know if they tried to do a burnout or what. The owner offered to replace the clutch kit but wanted me to pay for the parts. I wasn’t about to take the car back. So I dealt with it. Fast forward to my recent engine-pull, and I replaced the flywheel and got a new LUK clutch kit. I reused the throw out bearing as I forgot the LUKs come with one that is part plastic so I took a chance on reusing the other one since it didn’t have that many miles on it.

I cleaned the new flywheel and pressure plate surfaces. I didn’t wipe the disc surface but was careful about not putting greasy fingers on it.

I’m planning on pulling the trans (easier than the engine I feel) and going to inspect everything, clean the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces again and can/should I clean the disc with brake cleaner too or no? I’ll probably replace the TO bearing while I’m there.

Any other thoughts?

Brian