Thread: My 1970 12 bolt
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
Is it possible to add welds to prevent axel from breaking original welds. Maybe I should have bought a brand new axel but I was told they only last a few years. This is a learning experience.
Welding the axle tubes to the center hsg on leaf spring rears has long been a tried and true practice to prevent an axle tube from spinning. Many years ago, i spent nearly a full day carefully cleaning up the appearance of a previous hack job of stick welding on the axle tubes of a '66 Nova 12 bolt housing. Ever since that mess, when I've needed to weld housing tubes to a center housing, I've loaded up the housing & my line up bar setup & drove to one of my local friends that are very handy with their TIG. End result is a beautiful small weld line, something that while not correct, I can at least stomach its appearance on a higher level restoration. As far as the "new" 12 bolts go, they are nowhere near correct appearance wise for a serious restoration build, As something to beat on, the Moser center housing is superior in strength to any of the factory 12 bolts, so if the purpose build of the car is the "hot rods to Hell" route, definitely an option.