View Single Post
Old 06-04-2023, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Well... it worked! I don't think the pan was ever off this transmission. I got about almost 2 gallons out. I put in 7.5 qts of type F and sent it. it now shifts fine, the car only has 80k on it so I think it was never changed since 1974!!
Good to hear that snake oil helped this issue, just as countless others have said for many years. now just keep your fingers crossed that it keeps shifting ok.

As mentioned, if the trans/clutches are bad no fluid will fix that, but if its just a mild sloppy shift type F & other performance ATF's are supposed to firm up the shifts pretty good. the type F in my higher mile abused th400 made a noticeable improvement.

If the fluid was really that old then using fresh dexron3 type probably would have improved the shift too. was the filter dirty or pan showing signs of sludgy crap on the bottom?

i forget the actual capacity of th400's but its more than 2 gallons, i think its more like 12-13qts, would be a good idea to pump out another 4qts in 500 miles or asap to get more type F in there.

Last edited by 78w72; 06-04-2023 at 02:31 PM.