View Single Post
Old 06-01-2023, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
OK! I'll change it this weekend. Does the fluid actually lose its uummmpphh?
an old trick guys do for worn out sloppy shifting transmissions is to use type F fluid or something like b&m trick shift which ive read is just mostly type f. i had a higher mile th400 that had a sloppy 3 gear shift under load behind a 455, changed the fluid to type F and it made a noticeable difference, kept that trans in the car with lots of abuse for 10+ years.

need to exchange out as much as possible, not just a pan drain & fill like when you change the filter. i do a fluid exchange buy unhooking the return cooling line at the radiator, start the engine with the end of the hose in a bucket and let the running engine pump out about 2 qts, shut off engine & refill with 2 new qts then repeat until you either see new red fluid coming out or youve done about what the system holds.

i cant say if fluid looses its "uumph" but it can definitely wear out, most vehicles call for a trans fluid change at some interval, modern cars are usually around 60-80k, even with the modern so called "lifetime" ATF.

if new fluid doesnt help, its time for a rebuild or new trans.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: