View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Air IV Jack View Post
Cliffs complaints about eBay are pretty universal. I know a lot of sellers and they echo Cliffs words! I've sold a few things myself over the years but would never have an eBay store. Years ago, I read stories about people selling things on eBay and making $$$$. However, things have changed with eBay as Cliff mentioned and it is not as user friendly as it once was. When eBay began charging local tax on used items, that pissed me off. Most people pay enormous amounts of tax in this country every year and eBay wants more. Yes, the worldwide exposure of products is fantastic but the days of making decent money on eBay is about over. Fees and more fees have shackled sellers and I expect that to continue!!
the complaints of cliffs i was referring to is that they charge 14-16% for ebay motors categories, they dont, its 12.9% but on the total price including shipping & taxes because they are processing those payments... just like all credit card companies did before the internet, buy a pair of jeans from sears & sears has to pay visa their fees on the full sale amount including taxes.... which sears passed on to the consumers. the other complaints about buying boxes, ink, paper etc are just things you gotta buy to operate a business...

ive been selling on ebay at a pretty large volume for 20+ years until the last couple years ive toned it down quite a bit, mainly because the market for parting out 2nd gen firebirds has got stupid, $500-$1000 rusty parts car with no title are selling for $2000+ now, that leaves little meat on the bone to make it worth all the work involved. its not ebays fault. but i still make decent money listing parts & other stuff like home audio there. i dont echo any of cliffs complaints, its very user friendly to list auctions, & also very easy to see the fees they charge. not that his complaints arent valid for him, but the numbers on fees are not right.

also, ebay is not charging their own tax on items nor do they "want more." the tax they charge is the same exact amount of tax any online business charges whether its summit, amazon, etc. its the state & federal governments that impose those sales taxes for all businesses to charge, started with the net neutrality crap so the government could get their share of sales tax income because all internet sales used to be tax free before they did that. its not just ebay charging those taxes & they dont get to keep any of it.

sorry for all the comments on this thread, just trying to provide accurate info to the comments that are misunderstood or not correct.

Last edited by 78w72; 08-19-2022 at 01:19 PM.