View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 01:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Just to say it out loud, the lubricant in assembly lube stays on the surface for some time, even if the 'carrier' gets almost immediately washed away. So thinking that it doesn't have an impact more than the fractions of a min oil reaches the assembly lube is incorrect.

What's the factor that causes the most engine wear? Initial startup. And that's through the life of the engine, not just the first startup.

Do you fill the oil filter when you do an oil change? Based on some mentalities, some would say it's not needed. Does it impact the life of an engine? It could make the difference between an engine that goes 100k miles and an engine that goes 300k miles. Same principal applies to assembly lube.

In almost every situation, there will be 'foreign matter' in a newly assembles engine. It might be fine enough of a material that won't cause immediate damage but can reduce the potential life of an engine (100k/300k).

If someone wants to avoid spending $10 on a bottle of assembly lube and just use oil or whatever, so be it, but can't deny there is no impact or risk.

STP as discussed here is an additive, and technically not a lubricant, also just to say it out loud. It may have some lubricants/properties in it, but not anywhere near what an assembly lube has. And because of how thick it is, it can actually prevent the lubricant properties of engine oil from reaching the surface.

'Professional' engine builders use assembly lubricants, 'general' mechanics in the field usually don't. Does it make a difference? You be the judge.

Excellent points!!! STP is very slippery, and I remember the commercials years ago with Andy Granatelli. Impressive and we tried the screwdriver test ourselves and it worked like on TV. Used STP many times when putting in camshafts in the 70's and 80's with no problems at all. That said, I would prefer the moly paste we used in school years ago, coating the cams before install. The teacher was insistent on this stuff, and it worked very well. Also learned about putting oil in the oil filter at changes so it can get to the bearings faster.

Initial startup is critical on engines as you mentioned especially if the engine has been sitting for a while which many of our collector cars do. I'm using Lucas Oil Stabilizer now because of the reported properties of it hanging onto the engine parts after shutdown. Something I did notice now is that after a month of sitting, I start my GTO and have oil pressure after the first rollover of the engine. Before that, it took several rollovers to get oil pressure. That is enough proof for me to conclude Lucas works! Everyone has personal views on oil/additives, etc., and use what they believe in. Still, nice to read members takes on products they've used and their experiences.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ram Air IV Jack For This Useful Post: